Growing up as a little girl I often dreamed about meeting Mr. Right, falling madly in love, getting married, and living happily ever after with hubby, our two and a half kids, and our white picket fence. Somewhere along the way this dream was definitely misinterpreted and… I fell madly in love with Mr. Wrong, got married, got a restraining order, got divorced, and ran fast in the opposite direction toward a shelter with my only child. In short this is not the reality I once envisioned as a little girl. Therefore every once in awhile I find myself in a mommy funk, and I need a little reminder that single mommyhood rocks!
Below I have created a top ten list to remind myself, and other single parents the benefits of parenting alone.
1) You and you alone have the power to make all the decisions in your household.
2) You play both parental roles, therefore you officially get to celebrate two holidays in your honor… Mothers Day and Fathers Day.
3) Your answer is the final answer in your household.
4) Assuming you’re an amazing parent you get to soak up all the love and affection that pours out of your little one.
5) You get to raise your child as you please.
6) You are the one that will be there for each of your child’s firsts… Example: First day of school, followed by his or her reaction.
7) You get to introduce your child to your fashion sense and interests.
8) You get to snuggle up with your little one every night if you please and watch a movie together.
9) You awake most mornings to a little arm around you, followed by a little voice saying, “I love you mommy (or daddy).”
10) You are the one that your child will most likely run to when he or she is in need of loving arms!
Just a little reminder to all you single mommies or daddies out there… “It’s not always easy, but it’s always worth it.”
Please help support single parents in the blogosphere by adding an additional reason why single parenting ROCKS! Let’s see how many reasons we can list as a collective group.